Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mt Vernon

I'm sure all of you that have been to Washington D.C. have toured Mt Vernon but this is my first time here so I thought I'd give you an idea of what is looks like here in January of 2008.


I enjoyed every minute of my time there with the exception of getting to the restaurant at 2:30 p.m. and reading that lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. :(


This is the south side of the house. The north side has an identical covered walkway. It is pretty amazing. My sister Kelly has a years pass to the place so she can go everytime someone comes to town. I don't think I'd tire of this place in 20 visits. They really don't give you enough time in the mansion itself during the tour. But the grounds are amazing. Kel says they are nicer in the spring and summer but I found the brisk weather and fairly small crowds gave me better perspective on what it may have been like back in 1798.


The Potomac River is down the hill just beyond these trees. I have some pictures of my own of the view but I'm borrowing Kelly's pics for now. Basically because I didn't take any pictures of myself.....but she did. So here I am facing east at the back portico of Mt Vernon. Too cool for words.
All of the videos and such in the museum as well as the tour guides were so informative. I learned a whole lot more than I knew this morning.

The trip saga will continue....touring monuments tomorrow and the White House on Saturday. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

looks beautiful. I agree that smaller crowds and cooler weather would make for a more fun trip. At least from a history lovers perspective :) Have super fun the rest of your visit Mom, we love you and can't wait to hear about everything. Maybe you should splurge on a disposable camera for the last couple days of your fantastic adventure?

Kiel W. said...

I agree, beautiful!

Keep the pictures and updates coming. I've never been to the DC area and I'm looking forward to getting a guided tour of the area by you ;-)