Monday, February 20, 2006

President's Day

I know I'm old. I remember when we celebrated Lincoln's birthday on Feb. 12th and Washington's birthday on Feb. 22nd. This morning I was reading the explanation of the holiday on the kid's school websight.

It said "Today we celebrate President's Day. Presidents' Day was originally celebrated on the 3rd Monday in February in honor of George Washington's birthday, which was February 22, 1732. Gradually the holiday also honored Abraham Lincoln, who was also born in February.

Today, President's Day is not only a celebration of Washington and Lincoln, but it is a day to honor every man who has served as a U.S. President."

For one thing the whole Monday holiday thing is a recent phenomena. For a second this gradually honoring Lincoln thing is totally bogus. Now they throw all the other presidents in there. What's up with that! Can't any one individual be honored on their own. How come MLK doesn't have to share the holiday with all others that lived and died in support of civil rights.

I'm not complaining about having a paid holiday I'm just not appreciating the "changing" of the facts.

2 comments:

WallaWallaDay said...

Hey, I had a paid holiday today too! Except... I had to work.

WallaWallaDay said...

I had never before heard of Assata Shakur. Perhaps it's because she's been living in Cuba since the year I was born. Can we have a holiday for someone who is not a US citizen anymore?