Thursday, October 21, 2010

Remembering... it always happens in the Fall

Today my dad would have been 75
Fall is such a melancholy time for me. I love all of the leaves changing colors, the weather starting to become crisp and the menu changes that come with the cooler weather. The back to school excitement. The beginning of the holiday season. But Fall also is a time of remembering my dad. He would have been 75 today. He also left this earth in the Fall. November 2000. But not before he bagged his buck and a doe too. That was great!














He loved his kids and grandkids and my mom. I see him in the crooked smiles of my grandchildren and in our Hayden's physique and hair!

He was a big fan of his Packers & Redwings and loved Sunday drives and I liked to watch Lawrence Welk with him.

He wasn't super fond of long road trips but made the trek out here to see us multiple times. Our older kids remember him but the younger ones don't have that privilege. I recently received a packet of photos from my cousin Deb. There are some of my Dad when he was younger. A couple of them are from Mom and Dad's wedding. One formal portrait is of his whole family: my grandparents, dad, aunts and uncles. I definitely resemble my dad's mom... but then I look like mine as well. Genetics are funny things.
I like to think of my dad still cheering all of us kids on in our various struggles. Life isn't always easy but when you have a solid foundation of Faith and Family you can get through anything.

There was a song played on the radio a few years ago that I always turned up and sang along at the top of my voice. I had to change the name of the grandmother in it from Rosemary to Hilia to make it more appropriate to me. The song is called "Who I Am" and the chorus goes:


"I am Hilia's granddaughter
The spitting image of
my father
And when the day is done
my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am
"


So true! And that's a whole lot of heritage to be thankful for.

No comments: