Saturday, August 02, 2014

An outing with the grands: Rose Garden Children's Park

I did a couple of sewing projects


I bought this upholstery fabric a while back and finally got it made into a cushion for my porch swing. I had enough left over to make one for my rocking chair too!




A stop at a playground with the kids
This is one of those places that I've been wanting to take these kids to ever since I was there with Anabelle and Henry in January. I am always concerned that I won't find a parking place up there unless it's first thing in the morning. I told the kids that IF there was a parking place nearby we could stop and play. As it happened the only spot open was directly across from the entrance to the playground.  Awesome! There were hoards of kids and parents all over the place. I'm glad that Hayden was with me as it allowed  some of the kids to play in the sand area while I followed the others around. 










The sandbox is my favorite part. It's so well done and plenty deep for a real beach type experience.  I think they even have some sort of water source underneath because as you dig deep you hit wet sand.






Wyatt and Genevieve teamed up with some other kids and build a little sandcastle village in a sheltered area next to the sand pit. I am amazed at how each one of these four are not afraid to just up and start a conversation or get others recruited to play a game or do a project. Danika ( the self proclaimed "shy one") is a regular one person welcome wagon wherever we go to play. They are each pretty awesome!
The restrooms are located in a building that is the only building left from where the zoo was originally located. The whole place is decorated with ceramic sculptures of animals. Genevieve stopped to pose with her favorite one.



They didn't have proper footwear to take off on the hiking trails up there but they did march up to the top of a little hill and came back down. I think perhaps some hiking up in Forest Park might be another thing on our list of things to do before school starts back up.
One more sewing project done
I fell in love with these fabrics when I was shopping and thought they'd make a spiffy quilt. The baskets of fruit and bandana fabrics are my favs. It is a feel good old fashioned rag quilt. My sewing machine has missed being used but cool weather is coming and I'll be back to it. Perhaps in a sewing room of my own that I have in the works. 

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

I didn't know that's where the zoo was! When was that?