Sunday, August 04, 2013

Historic Battlefield Park and a couple favorite restaurants

Five Guys and three Girls


I thought this was the first time I'd been to Five Guys with five guys but we have been to our local one with Kiel and Henry so this is the second time I've eaten at Five Guys with five guys :)

There were four girls there as well (counting me).  This was just next door to a frozen custard shop and we just had to bring some of that home for dessert.
 Battlefields in Manassas
In an attempt to beat the heat of the day we went to the battlefield the first thing in the morning. It looked to have the makings of a beautiful but very warm day.
 Our first stop was at the Stone House.
What a beautiful area! And a wonderful place to walk. We walked around the house and took a few photos and then hiked up the hill to get a better view of where the first and second battles of Manassas took place. We happened to be there almost on the anniversary of the first battle. I can't imagine what those young men endured in the July heat and humidity in their heavy uniforms.







The Cracker Barrel



This is a place I've heard about since Lyssa and Logan first moved East. It is one place that we were determined to experience. We ended up there for breakfast between visiting the Stone House and going to the homestead where the official museum was.

The food was YUMMY! and so plentiful. The blackberries that the kids ordered were gigantic! (though not as large as the picture implies ;) ) I had a ton of fun at the Country Store. I made Har try on this hat. He and my brother, Gerry, could pass for twins!
More exploring




 I'd love to go back to this place. It is so peaceful and serene and a great place to remember the lives that were impacted by the Civil War.

No comments: