Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cousins from near and far

We went to Saturday Market
These four cousins all grew up near each other in Lower Michigan. Two of them share a birthday ad birth year so this big trip to the west coast was a way for them all to get together and have some adventures. The two sisters, Denise and Betty, (on the far left in the above picture) married cousins that are also Harlan's cousins. The other two sisters, Martha and Phylis, (in the middle and next to me) are actually my mother's cousins. Are you confused yet?


I'm happy to say that they invited me to join them on this outing and brought along another little cousin (Betty's granddaughter who happens to be a triple third cousin to our grandchildren) from Brush Prairie.
I've seen a couple of them fairly recently but Phylis (in the grey hoody) lives in Texas and I don't think I've seen her since my great-grandmother's funeral 45 years ago.



I'd never been to Saturday Market before so it was all new to me too. I might so some Festival of the Last Minute shopping down there in December this year.
Instead of traveling in a big pack we split up and touched base when it was time to leave.



Cousin Martha has a heart as big as the state of Michigan and couldn't leave without getting something for Alyssa. A very lovely engraved bracelet ;)
I kidnapped these gals
While walking around Saturday Market we saw several artworks featuring Multnomah Falls. Both of these gals thought that seeing them in person would be great if they weren't too far away.
I was ready for a road trip!
Betty, Denise and Alyssa did a bit of shopping in the Lloyd Center area and then headed back to Alyssa's family's house. 


Multnomah Falls is a great place to bring first timers to the area. The walking paths and amenities  are so nice. 












I decided that we'd go into the restaurant so they could see how beautiful it was. We ended up having dessert out on the patio. It was fun getting reacquainted with both of them. Noticing family traits and realizing that we are connected no matter how many years and miles there have been between us.
Further east we went to The Dalles
I've always wanted to introduce someone from out of town to the city by coming down Hwy 26 from the west. It's nothing but trees and hills on either side of the freeway until you get to the tunnel through the west hills. When you come through on the other side, there she is.... Portland. It still impresses me after 34 years of living out here. We have a pretty little city.

We also have a diversity of geology, topography, and change in vegetation within a couple of hours of the city. Because these gals seemed to be ohhing and ahhhing over the trees and the cliffs I purposed to drive until the hills started turning golden and fairly treeless. We drove as far as The Dalles and turned around in the parking lot of Cousins! 









We stopped at the Memaloose rest area and walked around a bit. Read some of the history of the Oregon Trail and that area of the gorge. It was a great little drive.
Back at their home base
They were staying with my cousin Betty's daughter Janine's family in Brush Prairie. I dropped them off and we posed for some pictures. Martha had ordered matching totes for them to use on their various adventures which included a trip up to Seattle and one to the Oregon Coast.
Cousins in age order
From L-R youngest to oldest: me, Betty, Phylis, Denise and Martha (a matter of hours older)
Thank you so much for letting me hang out with all y'all.
I had a wonderful time.

2 comments:

Reese said...

Henry saw me reading this post and said "There's two Grammas!" Not sure which cousin he was referring to, but there are definitely resemblances :)

Lyssa said...

Those are some of my favorite things about back home! Well done on the tour giving Mom :) (especially the gorge!)