Saturday, September 14, 2013

New Seasons on our walk

There's a new store in town
We've been watching this place go up for a long long time. It's finally open for business and has added more activity to some already busy intersections. The newest New Seasons is located between N Williams and N Vancouver on Fremont. We walked over there a few days after their grand opening. If you want to get there and in and out quickly I suggest you...
OR
The gift and housewares sections of the store are so inviting to me. New Seasons is great for getting quirky cards and gift items. I would have loved to pick up one of each of these books. And there were lots of neat little items for lunch boxes and organizing (something I need a class in badly)
When they say bikes welcome they mean it!




The bike wheel art work is one of three on the wall in the women's rest room. And they have more bike parking than they do automobile parking spots. I bought myself a nifty purple mesh shopping bag, a cruet for making homemade salad dressings, and a new kitchen knife. I'm pretty sure that this is not going to become my go to for groceries. It is a great place for a Saturday morning coffee date though.
Walking a long way home






This is one of the many urban lots made into garden plots. It is very nice to not have to drive out to Sauvie's Island to get fresh produce. I'm a little concerned about all of the car and truck exhaust residue that could be on the veggies as it's in a very heavily traveled area. Is that a legitimate concern?
Pioneer memorial



There is a little playground a park not far from the new grocery. I've never been there before but it has a great looking gazebo. The community area of New Seasons had photos of various grocery stores from that area of Portland through the years. The history of the Albina district is new to me.
Funky internet cafe and laundromat
We walked past this laundromat on MLK. I thought it was just a coffee shop. It was closed for Labor Day but it might be a place for us to pop in at during a neighborhood walk any other day.
They found a FREDDY'S
"What's on your list today?" 
Obviously Fred Meyer itself was on the list. They found it!
Henry and Anabelle got to enjoy one of the car carts there.
Every time I run my rewards card at Fred's the read out says "Thank you loyal customer" I think they need to change it depending on how much you shop there. My new message will read "Thank you most highly appreciated and loyal customer". Harlan jokes that if I ever decide to leave town, the folks at Fred Meyer will notice before my family does ;)


1 comment:

Lyssa said...

Ah, Portland my Portland! Community gardens, cool grocery stores, bike love, and Fred Meyer... tis a beautiful place to call home :) (or to have called home, or to call home in the future, or to visit...)