Sunday, May 11, 2014

I'm gonna "Ride like a girl"

Eight years of wishing
Eight years ago, Harlan got a bike for his birthday. At that time he said the only accessory he wanted was me on a bike next to him. I got a bike too but sadly we haven't enjoyed many rides together. He has ridden faithfully to work and back all this time but until recently I haven't had the stamina to ride.
But things are a-changin' ;0)
I was invited to join this group




I went to an information meeting at a local bike shop. Carolyn Jen is the co-founder of the group and has become an avid cyclist and since she retired, has poured herself into encouraging other gals to get out and enjoy the freedom and fun of cycling.
My first ride!
I've signed up of a few of the rides. The first was rained out but on May 5th I got to join these ladies for a ride along the Columbia River. Rain was in the forecast but we were hopeful that it would hold off for a bit.


Carolyn tries to present some sort of lesson each time we get together. This one was about proper tire pressure.




I took a "selfie" while riding.

"Ride Like A Girl" is a group under the umbrella organization called NW Butts on Bikes.  So I decided to include this shot I took while a professional photographer was lining up a shot of all of our bikes.







It was a beautiful day for my first time in the saddle in years. We rode 10.28 miles!
I survived!
The inevitable trip to the bike shop
 The rain did move in later that afternoon. Harlan was excited to start looking for rain gear for me so we can ride together: rain or shine. We went to Universal Cycles but I didn't find what I wanted yet so we'll keep looking.



I do need a basket on my bike. Harlan and Ride Like a Girl just might get me running my errands by using pedal power :0)

No comments: