Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Michigan Trip pt. 2

Some People I just HAD to see!







(From top to bottom... Left to right. Aunty Beeks and Uncle Wes; Aunty Florence; Aunt Sarah, Uncle Charlie, and their granddaughter Aureliana; Deb and me;Aunt Pauline and Uncle Cliff; Gail and me; Gracia and Mom)

I had such a short amount of time to visit apart from seeing the folks at the reunion and my siblings that were around. Mom and I zoomed up to Calumet to have coffee with Gracia and Gail. I got to meet Gails grandchildren in person which was a real treat. On the way back we stopped in to visit for a few minutes with my Aunty Florence. She is getting around pretty well. Still living in her own home with her sons and their families looking in on her. On Sunday I snatched Mom's car and went to Hancock to see my Aunty Beeks and Uncle Wes and cousin Deb. They have such an wonderful view from their place. It is similar to the view from my grandparents house where Deb and her husband Jim now live.






















The Fourth!
I got to go with Kurt and Kel and meet up with some of his family to watch the Lake Linden 4th of July parade. Teresa and Mom walked over from where they were watching with some more of the family.


I have never seen so much candy thrown to the kids as in this parade. They go home with a sack full.

I happened to turn just as our friends, Dave and Marilyn, from years ago passed by. I called to her and I was able to say hello. Harlan was one of the first employees of the Best Western Kings Inn that they owned in Houghton.


Sightseeing on the 4th
We caravanned through the valley, up the Gay hill and through the town as they were preparing for their annual Gay 4th of July Parade.We continued on the eastern shore of the peninsula and stopped a couple of times to enjoy the lake, a waterfall and some beautiful flowers along the road.















































Evening sky at Mom and Don's
It was a perfect evening out at Mom's. The sunset was really pretty. We had a bonfire and let the kids run with sparklers. Even set off a few fireworks that someone brought.
Hometown 4th celebrations are the best!

Silent auction Craft update
As I was making the quilts for the auction, I often wondered who would be going home with them. The two small ones were bought by my mom's cousin Martha as gifts. The one above was purchased by my cousin Becky's daughter Samantha. (with her own money) I wanted a picture of her with it and she happened to be using it while on the swing. I'm sure she will enjoy many hours curled up with a good book and her quilt.














I sneaked down to mom's coop and checked out her carpet loom and craft area. I loved how she has everything set up. I wish I would have gotten a photo of the carpets she made. She does such quality work. The weave is so tight that the carpets are going to be heirlooms before they wear out.








Family Reunion Cookbook!
Mother made these blueberry bars a couple of times while I was there. They are "excellent"! The recipe is one of the ones she submitted to the cookbook that was compiled by my sister Kelly. She used an online website and had them published and sent to Michigan.















It was such a big job but with Aunt Sarah and Kelly collaborating over the project it turned out just wonderful!
I bought one for each of my girls and Courtney has already used a couple recipes from it.









I hated to leave ;_(














Had to say goodbye to my family and those familiar things I miss when I'm away.

Until next time. Keep the sauna hot!

No comments: