Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fruits of our labor ;0)

Berry sweet treats!


 Berry season is one of my favorite times of the year.  Sure we can buy berries year round but there is something wonderful about being able to pick your own to make yummy treats.
Earlier this month
 On June 4th I drove out and picked up Garrett for the day. We used the GPS to find our way from his house to the Pumpkin Patch on Sauvie Island. We were on a mission to get strawberries.




















 Garrett and I had a great time. The family enjoyed some fresh berry treats and I have 18 cups of freezer jam as a result of our work. It's the first time I've made freezer jam. I'm going to try it with raspberries too. 
Another day another berry patch








The boys and I picked 16 1/2 pounds of berries in less than an hour on this trip. There are still a lot of green berries out there so I have time to get out and pick some more if need be.

Raspberries are just starting to ripen
I picked up a half flat of raspberries from the market there. They are not as cheap as picking our own but they will make lovely jam. And perhaps if I'm heading back for more blueberries I just might get some u-pick raspberries on that day too
I'm experimenting with some recipes. I made scones twice this past week.  The first was made with cherries from Cherise/Kiel's and these are fresh raspberry, white chocolate and pecan.  Both batches turned out very light and tender. Harlan prefers a denser scone. Any tips on attaining that quality? I think kneading it more will make it tougher so I'm going to keep experimenting.
I might have to get volunteers to eat this stuff if I get on a baking kick.

No comments: