Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Away for a bit

Back to the Motherland
I will be away for several days. I am heading back to the U.P. of Michigan (the birthplace of professional hockey) to spend some time with as many members of my mom's family that will be able to make it to the Onnie and Hilia Knuuttila Family Reunion.

Centennial Celebration!
Both of my grandparents were born in 1911, so this would have been their centennial year. Here is a photo of Hilia and Onnie in the late 40's. I think I've heard that my brother Gerry resembles Grampa Knuuttila just a bit.

The Knuuttila Kids
The six kids and an unnamed pet. My mother is the dark haired cutie standing behind the couch in the top center of the photo. We lost our Uncle Jerry a few months back so the reunion will be missing a very dear family member. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them and many cousins that I haven't seen since we were kids. We aren't kids anymore :P ...that's for sure. All of my siblings are planning on being there. I think the last time the 5 of us were together was for Joylynn's wedding 8 1/2 years ago. Maybe we can get all of them out here for Krystle's wedding next summer.

Mother Superior!
This picture shows my niece and nephew standing on the shore of Lake Superior today. Being raised near such an amazing body of water made me realize that it would be difficult for me to live somewhere that I couldn't be near water of some sort. The Columbia River and even the lovely Willamette that runs through downtown Portland have been my places of refuge over the years. Still I'm planning to spend some time by the Big Water. Especially since she and I go back a ways and I hope to feel renewed when I get back to the place where Har and I have been
"rooted and established".
Portland.

Special prayers would be appreciated for Harlan as he will be holding down
Ft Grampa & Gramma in my absence.

3 comments:

Reese said...

Have so much fun! Wish we could go... but I guess we're busy making sure family reunions continue to grow and grow =) Perhaps next time!

Reese said...

Also, that little baby looks a bit like Garrett.

Lyssa said...

Have a wonderful time Mom!! Don't worry about the fort :) if need be the Laceytown cavalry will come a-ridin' down to reinforce the lines! But I'm sure they'll be fine :)

Wish we were coming too!! Miss all those Aunties and Uncles and it would be fun to meet more extended family. Ah well, you'll just have to have some extra fun for us ;) Be safe! Take pictures!