Thursday, September 08, 2011

Fall food fun

Bountiful Baskets
Alyssa has gotten plugged in to a program up in Lacey called "Bountiful Baskets". Several times this season, she has put in an order on Tuesday and picked up farm fresh produce on Saturday morning. A week ago the website announced they had peaches and pears available and she called me to see if I would show her how to can peaches. I said I would and asked her to also order me a box of peaches and one of pears. She arrived Monday with the fruit, her kids and the dog.
Sterilizing quart jars.
Peeling.
Packing.
Processing. A blue and white speckled enamel canner filled with peaches ready to boil.
14 quarts of summer yumminess to be enjoyed during the dreary months.
Here is what was left of her bounty and the canned fruit ready to head north.

It got pretty warm in the kitchen during the process but we took consolation in the fact that when it's 90+ degrees outside we were going to be hot and miserable. Might as well be hot, miserable, and accomplishing something. So we followed in the tradition of many many generations of women that provided for their families in this same manner.

Thanks for letting me be involved in your first canning experience, Lyssa! Hopefully you can put up your feet today.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

Thank YOU! :) I want to do it again so I can try to not e so timid about the packing! ;) I hope you can get yours all canned soon.

Reese said...

Awesome. I've only used my canning equipment once, wish I could do more. Right now though, the best I can manage is get the regular dishes done =P