Saturday, July 28, 2012

Smooth jazz


 Hair do = done
I needed a little lift the other day and thought getting my haircut would do the trick.  I bribed Courtney with gas money to watch the kids so I could get away. There isn't a huge difference in style but it's much shorter and so easy to wash and wear. Just perfect for the lazy days of summer.
Jazz music at its finest
This is Jimmy Mak's. It is "One of the world's top 100 places to hear jazz." according to  Down Beat Magazine. Our friends, Tom and Kim are very familiar with the music of Jimmy Mak's and invited us to join them there for an evening of jazz music and some dessert.
On Thursday nights, The Mel Brown B-3 Organ Group takes the stage. The group is made up of Mel Brown on drums, Louis Pain on the B-3 organ, Dan Balmer on guitar, Curtis Craft on percussion, and Renato Caranto on tenor sax.
What an amazingly talented and entertaining group of men. We enjoyed every minute of the music. I'd really like to take our boys there.  The first set of music ends and 9:30 after which the club is for 21 and over. Before that though all ages are welcome.
The company wasn't bad either





We really enjoy the time spent with Tom and Kim. They've introduced us to good music and good coffee. I'm wondering when Harlan is going to start joining Tom for cigars on the porch!
Thomas is growing his goatee to match Harlan's which can only mean that he's on vacation. Kim had a rare couple of days off too.  Only Har had to get up for work on Friday, so we decided to stay for both sets. I expected our kids to scold us when we got home close to midnight but I don't think any of them even noticed.
The dessert looked good



The guys had dessert and Kim and I refrained, but they looked really delicious. Cherry cheesecake and mud pie. Jimmy Mak's offers a complete menu of food items starting at 5 p.m. daily. However they are closed on Sundays. If you like jazz and are going to be in Portland check them out. 
http://www.jimmymaks.com/index.html 
You can't confuse me
 I was at JoAnn Fabrics picking up a couple of birthday goodies for Henry, when I saw these little flashlight key chains.  The Dolphin is pretty cool, and I suppose you can call that dragon looking figure a dinosaur, but there is no way you're going to convince me that the thing on the right is a frog. 




3 comments:

Reese said...

Oooh, I think you need to take your Cherise and Kiel to that jazz place too =) Looks fantastic.

That duck is hilarious, were there other correct frog ones?

mommarazzi said...

No other frog ones. Though I did see one correct duck one.

Lyssa said...

Haha, duck... I hope you bought it cause that's super funny!

Good on ya for gettin out :) looks pretty awesome and a good break for you! Gotta take advantage of good friends, good food, and good music :)