Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The traveler returns

Late night airport pick-up
 Hayden's flight was coming in at 10:53 p.m. and we got to the airport at 10:53. The arrival board said that the flight was "On Time" but it hadn't changed to "Arrived", so we waited and waited. And I took pictures of my goofy kids being goofy.
Hayden was also waiting
 While the flight status didn't say "Arrived" in fact it had arrived and Hayden walked right by us. He sent a text saying that he had landed and was waiting at baggage claim. Rylan, Courtney and Cam went down to welcome him. The first thing I saw these guys doing was comparing tans or lack of them. Like I said, goofy kids.
It's good to have him back!
 I think this trip was good for Hayden. I know that Alyssa appreciated that he traveled with her from Virginia up to the U.P. and helped with the kids.  I know that my mother was thrilled to have him around for the couple of weeks he was there. He got to get reacquainted with Ari and Tiia and spend some time with Kelly and Kurt's other kids. He also got to know Alexa and Luc which was great. He came home with a hoody for himself. He wasn't going to get it initially because he didn't know what  or where the Keweenaw was. But he found out. We jokingly refer to it as the Motherland. I was born and raised on the Keweenaw peninsula of Michigan so indeed the term "motherland" is appropriate.
 He got to swim in Lake Superior multiple times and he got to experience one of my favorite childhood pastimes... rock hunting. I have a small container of collected rocks from my youth and now Hayden has his own collection. Nice variety!
He learned some Michigan geography

He brought home the oven mitt to prove it!






Finnish heritage
Lyssa bought and sent these mugs to Har and me. I love them! 
Har is the Fine Finn and I've got Sisu within.
 I bet Alyssa's "yooper" accent may have gotten a little thicker while she was there. It's hard not to start talking a bit like a native while you spend time in that culture of pasties, saunas, korppus, and pulla. 
Got Sisu? Ya you betcha!
Cottonwood and copper
 Mom and Lyssa picked up this souvenir from Copper World for Har's and my anniversary. Although I have a copper clad cottonwood leaf from Kara, this one is more appropriate for the anniversary with its sweet kissing couple silhouette.
I first heard "the cottonwoods whispering" almost 34 years ago in the Copper Country of Michigan.
They still whisper here in the Pacific Northwest.





4 comments:

mommarazzi said...

I just noticed that this was post 156. That is more posts than in any year since I started blogging. And the year isn't over.

I feel like my blog is a lot like "Seinfeld". I post a lot about nothing. But they're the nothings of mine that I want to remember and share with family. I like that my mom and Cherise and Alyssa and my cousin Deb and Mike and Naomi and whoever else visits here gets a chance to keep up with our crazy crew.

Thanks for stopping by for the 156th time this year.

Lyssa said...

I'm glad you liked your presents! I know everyone here LOVED having uncle Hayden here. The kids talked for quite a while on the way home from seeing him off about how they wish he could stay longer or that we could fly to Portland with him or that he could live with us and how they missed him already. it sure is quiet without him, not because he was loud but because the kids always were trying to find him and talk to him ;)

Thanks for lending him to the east for a bit, can't wait for the next visit!

Reese said...

I think I may have stopped by 156 times today. Been waiting for the Hayden post! Glad he's home safe, glad he got his hoody and glad you got your fun things too :)

Unknown said...

I had to laugh at the "comparing tans" picture! I was holding Evie at the lake one day and there were comments about how there was no way she could be mine! Your children lack pigment! Or sunshine?! But I love them all regardless! And miss them like crazy!!