Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Reconnecting is a wonderful blessing

Woke up to a wet but colorful neighborhood
Our maples are almost completely turned into the red beauties that impressed us 24 years ago when we put a bid on this house. Our neighbors have a Japanese maple that is a gorgeous orangey red. I hadn't noticed it before this morning. It almost glows from the inside out.
A long longed for reunion
Barb Maunu was one of the first women to sort of take me under her wing when I was a young bride that had just moved to Oregon Territory. It may not have been the wild west anymore but it seemed like a place a long way from my Michigan. Barb, her sister-in-law Lori Lappi, and my sister-in-law Susie became my friends and mentors and made a lasting impression on my homesick heart.
It's been many years and children (for me) and grandchildren (for both of us) since Barb and I have had the chance to sit and visit. I must say that she hasn't changed a bit. She's still the wonderfully warm and caring woman that I remember.

 We reconnected via facebook probably close to a year ago.  I'm so grateful that we got to chat for a couple of hours in person today. The line in the song that says: "A friend's a friend forever if the Lord's the Lord of them" is so true. Thank you Barb for being a friend to me years ago and for renewing that friendship today. It was a blessing!

 Russell St leaves
Still a mix of green and gold. Reminds me of Packers colors. Other Oregonians may think of some other team but as far as I am concerned green and gold will forever belong to the Green Bay Packers.

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

Oh, how I love that soggy street! :) and oh, how I love seeing you able to reconnect with an old friend, taking time to just be Tammy. Even though you're always mom and gramma... ;) I love you!