Sunday, October 30, 2011

You're never too old...

Learning new tricks
We live in Portland "The city that works". We know this because it is written on the doors of all city vehicles. We are the city that recycles as well and now we are the city that Composts! Every household now has a drab grey pail to put all food scraps and some paper goods into to transfer to our large yard debris cart.
The kids are getting the hang of it... at least with their banana peels. It is going to be an educational experience for the whole family. We need to do this as our garbage will be taken only every other week whereas our recycle bin and yard debris will be collected every week.

I know tons of people already compost to amend their garden soil. We have no garden and haven't learned the science of composting. However we will now be contributing to some sort of gigantic collective urban compost pile. Hope it helps.

"Do you like my hat?"
Alyssa tried this hat on Katie and she turned to me and said "cheese!" and motioned toward my purse where my camera travels. I took it out and Lyssa put a hat on Garrett and we had a toddler moment in Fred Meyer.

Yes, yes, I like your hats!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Reese said...

I like that the compost thing is happening now. And those kids are cute with their hats.