Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pasty feed in NE Portland

Beautiful Sunny Sunday
It's the first Sunday in November and the weather was wonderful. The time change last night was nice. It would have been nicer if Garrett got the memo that we had an extra hour to sleep. :o)
The sun seemed so low in the sky when we got home this afternoon. I love that my impatiens haven't succumbed to the frost yet. They are pretty shelter because the trees still have leaves on them. Max liked the fact that the lawn wasn't sopping wet for "doing his business".

I guess I do bake sometimes
We made pasties today!
pasty/ˈpas tē/ Noun: A folded pastry case filled with seasoned meat and vegetables
This is a look into the pot full of pasty filling. My niece Tiffany and her mom, Coreen put the idea of making pasties this weekend in our Courtney's head. Tiff and Coreen made 51 pasties the day before yesterday. Courtney called me and wanted to know what all went into them. I asked if she wanted me to put them on the menu for today. She did and even volunteered to come and help! She showed up and was soon elbow deep in flour making the crust and then finished cutting up the potatoes. We didn't make near as many as Coreen and Tiffany. One 9x13 pan with top crust for the kids, 17 individual pasties and one double crust pie pan full.
I can't tell you the last time I made them.
Coming along nicely.
Alyssa was the first to dig in.
Katelyn is Thankful for her Family and for her pasty.
She is such a good eater.
Late Fall is the best time to have the oven going.
Perhaps I should work my way through our family reunion cookbook in the way Julie Powell went through Julia Child's cookbook. I don't think my family would complain.
It would shake up our weekly menu... which has been going 8 weeks and counting!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

mommarazzi said...

Technically, Courtney and I both made them since she made the crust from the recipe Mom gave Kelly for the reunion cookbook. Perfectly blended crust. Nice and tender! Thanks Courts!

Courtenzia said...

^_^ Anytime! Charlie was very happy to have been able to have them before leaving for Job Corps. He really liked them and wants to have them again soon. Thanks for making them and letting me help!

Kathryn said...

I'm pretty impressed about your menu planning! Our record is about three weeks. Perhaps you chould do a blog entry with tips on how to stay on track. And include some menu suggestions and recipes for things such as Pasties!! Not that you have much else to do... :)

Reese said...

Looking through you blog with Henry he said "Gramma's house! Food!" And his other favorites are any pictures of "Bett" and "Tate" (Garrett & Kate :) )