Friday, March 16, 2012

First-Second-Third COUSINS!!!

The Tapio Homestead
My cousin Betty's daughter, Janine, lives in Clark County. I haven't seen her in years. She was an infant when Harlan and I met. She emailed me earlier in the week to let me know that her mom was in town and wondered if I'd be able to get together with her.
Traveling outside of my little corner of Portland is pushing my comfort zone. There is a lot of open country out there. It was a beautiful drive though and I managed to find my way there and back.

Fast Friends










Janine's 4 year old, Ryan, and our 4 year old, Danika, hit if off right away. They were playing FBI and even went out on a boat! Notice Ryan in the captain's chair?

I don't know what the two of them were up to in this one but whatever it was Danika seemed to be in charge this time.

The little buddies













These two guys played like most toddlers do. Side by side without a whole lot of interaction. They are so alike though. It was fun to see the similar skills in feeding themselves and drinking from cups. Rumor has it that Nolan is quite the climber and busy boy too.





First cousins and triple third cousins
Betty's dad and my mom were siblings. So Betty and I are first cousins. However we both married Hilmans who happen to be double 1st cousins.
Betty's kids and my gang are triple second cousins, which makes these two grandsons of ours triple third cousins!
Are you confused yet?
Only in the faith community of the Apostolic Church have I come across so many "relations". It's kind of nice to have so many cousins. They are our first friends in many cases and are cherished more because of it. It was great to see Betty and get caught up just a little. We really need to get together next time she and Lyle are in the area. I'll make sure to bring Harlan.

Three generations
A U.S. born Canadian resident, a Canadian born U.S. resident and 4 Washingtonians.
Janine's children, Evan, Alyssa, Ryan and Nolan are the ages of Wyatt, Genevieve, Danika and Garrett so I know she is a busy mom. She also home schools which I know takes up so much time. I appreciate her making room in her day for our visit.
Aren't her kids adorable?

Thank you, thank you
One more look in the rearview and we were on our way back to Portland.

Thank you, Janine for the wonderful lunch and warm welcome!
It was a blessing to spend our day with your branch of this ever growing family tree.

No comments: