Thursday, March 01, 2012

MARCH brought some white stuff!

Hi. Hello! Welcome.
High five to the month of March! We woke up to a new month and a dusting of snow.

Pretty pink azaleas and pretty pink girl
Several school districts in the higher elevations had a snow day today but the roads were great in the Portland area so our kids were in school at the normal times.
Danika posed near the blooming azalea in her school yard.

The snow up in the hills beckoned
I love our little city. It's so beautiful!

The Oregon Zoo
When Garrett and I got up to the zoo it was foggy and gorgeous!
Because this trip was made on a whim, I had to stop in at the Zoo store to pick up a hoody and pair of mittens. I can just hear what's going through Garrett's thoughts..."Tell me you didn't buy me idiot mittens."
We had the zoo practically to ourselves. We got there 5 minutes after it opened and didn't see a sole in sight.


















There was evidence of a few travelers on the trail ahead of us. We, however, laid down the first stroller tracks.

The cats loved the cold and snow
One cougar was up in the tree and the other was wandering around on the ground.

Farm Friends


That black pig had such long curly hair. The goats and cattle had thick coats as well. The chickens all came out to see if we were going to give them something for breakfast.








"Aw Gramma! You did buy me idiot mittens!"








I thought the shovel leaning on the fence, the open door, and the abandoned gloves made for a nice still life portrait.

These cats like the snow too


The tiger on the right was playing with a big barrel type thing in their pool. Made me cold just imagining the temperature of that water. They loved it and were very active while we watched.

First snow play




I let him play with the snow on one of the benches. It was perfect snowball snow. Very wet and heavy. He was curious and scraped a bunch onto his lap. He soon realized how cold snow is and wanted it off of his lap.

We headed toward the van but stopped for a snack at the Cascade Grill. The little guy had a piece of french toast and cup of applesauce. He probably could have polished off a few more as he scarfed down his one plateful so fast.

We didn't even make it as far as the tunnel coming back into town and he was asleep.

I was in my element



As much as I love Portland, I could see myself living in an area that gets a little more cold and snow than we do here.

I had a great morning with Master Garrett. I even managed to get a picture of a robin that was singing in the top of one of the trees at the zoo.

Spring is on its way but I'm thankful for this brief taste of "home".

3 comments:

Lyssa said...

Oh man! That looks like the perfect zoo trip! Wish we could have been with you on that one :)

Reese said...

Does look like a nice zoo trip :) I wish Henry had idiot mittens! Those look perfect!

Lyssa said...

P.S. Garrett looks great in those colors! Can I buy OZ stuff online? Cause that hoodie is really cool :)