Thursday, April 26, 2012

Growing as parents

Our memorial cat

 This kitty will eventually be in a garden setting somewhere around this place.  For now it's on the porch and Garrett likes to pat it.  It was bought several years ago to memorialize our most excellent cat, Sabre but it reminds me more of another of our great felines, Anna.
We are slowly moving to an outdoor only cat home and that is going to take some getting used to, especially for our cat whisperer son. Change requires sacrifice sometimes.

Growing and growing
Little Miss Anabelle is getting teeth! Or tooth at this point. She's a smiley dolly. 
It was fun seeing her in Seattle.
 The last picture I posted of Henry on his play structure there was snow on the ground.  Spring blossoms are now the back ground for his play time.

Cherise is such an attentive mom. She is so good about keeping both of her kids on their meal, snack, nap and bedtime schedules. She also encourages lots of play time.

Encouragement from another
 Awesome mom
Alyssa has her hands full with 3 little darlings to be doing for every day. At the ages they are it takes so much physical and emotional energy.  Moms these days have challenges that I never had back in the day.  There are so many more things clamoring for our young ones' attention, minds and hearts.  The other night Lys was telling me what she came up with to help Rowan from spending too much time with video games or computer games. I wanted her to send it to me, as I thought it was brilliant! 
The poem and illustrations would make a great children's book.

Isn't it great how each of us is given the inspiration to lead and guide our kids?

Harlan has often talked about praying for wisdom in dealing with our kids. 
He's embraced the attitude of Solomon when asking for wisdom. 
I Kings 3:9 says
  "So give me a heart that understands. Then I can rule over your people. I can tell the difference between what is right and what is wrong. Who can possibly rule over this great nation of yours?"

Each child is a unique individual and it takes a wise and understanding parent to train them. I'm so proud of the parents our grandchildren have! They know their kids and what it will take to speak to each of their hearts.

The bible also says in Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it."

We are holding on to that promise!



4 comments:

loverstreet said...

i love alyssa's poem! with all the oodles of spare time she has she should totally write a children's book! :) plus, she could illustrate it herself, which would be extra special.

Reese said...

Aw, that poem is fantastic =) We'll have to get a copy for Hens when he's a bit older.

Little Anabelle was all happy yesterday with her new tooth. Today... not so much. She's working on the others and pretty sore I'd imagine.

Lyssa said...

I think I may need a few more oodles in order to illustrate also! ;) I've actually been thinking about doing that, I just haven't come up with a reasonable way to put it in book form. Of course I would also want to have more than stick figures! Maybe someday ;)

Thanks mom for the kind words! I couldn't be the mom I am without you, dad, and all your wisdom and guidance :) thanks for being wonderful!!

P.S. those are some cutie washington kiddos there! Henry is so much bigger than Katie! I mean, I know he's bigger but sheesh! I should send you a comparison shot of her "driving" our fortress.

Kathryn said...

I love the poem too. Simple words of wisdom. And the stick figures are great - inspiring for those of us who can't draw anything but stick figs!!