Friday, April 13, 2012

The New Children's Hospital

Randall Children's Hospital
This new state of the art facility was built next to Emanuel Hospital not far from our house. They have an emergency room just for kids. Man they are quick!
The whole place is decorated in sort of a fifties and sixties retro vibe.


















I'm pretty sure that my mom sat in one of these chairs when my brother, Gerry, and I were in the same hospital ward with pneumonia in the early sixties. Though I think that chair was turquoise. The little orange guy was in the exam room. He must have wandered in from the lobby.

Why were we there you ask?
Miss Genevieve's friend hurt her while messing around at school. Her arm hurt whenever she moved it and her collar bone area was swollen and painful to the touch. At least there was a nice sized tv to watch and plenty of kid's channels to choose from :0)

Off to X-ray























In radiology, Genevieve had a pink protective apron with fish on it. I was a monkey's gramma complete with thyroid protection. She was a trooper!
There was a treasure chest of stuff to choose from as a prize for holding still.

Reading while she waits










The blue horse is her favorite illustration. She read the whole book to me. The little butterfly flyer she's holding is what she chose from the treasure chest.
It turns out that her collar bone is the problem. It isn't broken but they suspect it slipped out and then back into place so it's swollen and painful where it meets her scapula.

All done and headed home


















A nurse came in with this cool Peanuts sling to immobilize the arm when she is up and around. Should be back to normal in a week or so. In the meantime she'll have a conversation starter hanging around her neck.

Non-medical non-emergency
Guess who's learned to open jars! Wyatt walked by the bathroom door as I was getting ready to clean this guy up and wondered if it was blood. Nope. Raspberry jam, seedless variety. I hope he didn't ingest too much.

Wish you were here Naomi!
Har's sister Naomi likes tulips, so I think of her whenever I see them.
I think of her a lot these days!!!

This is a picture of a front yard just up from our local Whole Foods market. It was taken from the van so It's not as clear as it could be and I didn't get a good look at how many varieties of tulips there were but it sure was a feast for the eyes as we passed by.

3 comments:

Reese said...

Glad Genevieve is mostly ok! Nice children's hospital. And very nice flowers =)

Lyssa said...

That picture of Garrett is kinda creepy. I Totally thought it was a bloody nose, bleh. Glad it was just jam! Also, good thing that Gengeve is okay. I was just thinking, perhaps when it was very sore it had popped out again? And then gone back in by the time you looked at it? They did say collarbones are weird. Who knows...

In any case i'm happy everyone is okay and Aunty Nomi's flowers are beautiful! I know it's not her yard but I figure all tulips in the PNW must be "her flowers". You should check out the spread up in the skagit valley! ;)

aunti nomi said...

I was in the Skagit Valley one year at the right time Lyssa. It was sooooo pretty but every one else tired of being there waaaay before I did!tyruis