Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Where my heart and head have been this week

Picture journal of their journey
Logan, Alyssa and their young-uns kept in pretty close contact with family during their trip across the country. I was thankful for the cell phone photos and text messages. We only actually talked on the phone a couple of times. I mentioned that I'd like to use the pictures they sent as a blog post since it was a big focus of my mind this past week, and Lyssa gave her consent.

First Photo from them
They ate pizza in the Utah motel on the second night of their journey. The Domino's delivery guy had a big family and bunch of grandkids.
The next morning they grabbed some yogurt and juice before they had cold pizza on their way to Laramie, WY. We received a text message from them asking for prayers as they were having car trouble. They were at a rest stop in the middle of Wyoming. The car would die if they tried to put it into reverse or drive. Texts, prayers, phone calls, online searches for problems, trying to find where they were on google maps.... Seems like an hour later we heard that Logan got the Subaru into gear without stalling and they were motoring on to Laramie. A new Best Western was their home for night #3.

On the road again

This was the view as they headed for Cheyenne, WY and a Subaru dealership. Thankfully they found the culprit. A loose wire. Fixed and back on the road heading for Nebraska.
Scenic Nebraska. I've never been there but it looks a lot like the land along the northern route we always take across Montana and North Dakota on our way to Michigan.

Lyssa sent me this picture of a rest stop in Iowa. I'd like to live there. Lyssa wished that she'd taken pictures of more of the rest stops. Cross country travel isn't what it used to be. It still can't be super easy with a four year old, 21 month old and 3 week old. I'm sure she felt the prayers going along with them.





Pools were a plus
They tried to stay in places that had pools. It was sure to help the kids get a better rest getting a little exercise before they hit the sack. Even swimming in the morning to get some energy burned before they hit the road.
New Year's Eve!
Katie the partied so hard she ended up in the bedside table.
Silly girl.
Last night on the road
She sent me this text as they entered Ohio. They were looking toward to one more night in a motel. Zanesville, Ohio.


Katie grew increasingly more comfortable with being in the water. It helped that there weren't any rowdy big kids messing around.
She's learning to swim!
Kick, kick, kick, Katie!







One more day on the road
Katie was getting a little goofy by this time in the trip.




She got to get out of the car seat and play with her magnadoodle while Evie was being fed.

I was thinking before they left that 7 motel stays and taking it slow was going to wear on the kids but from the reports we got they did great.

From the time they left Lacey on the 22nd of December, they drove through or near 9 state capitals. I'm so happy that they arrived safely at their new post. It is still to be determined where they will live while they are stationed there. But knowing the Guidance they've had so far I am sure it will be perfect for their little family.

Welcoming Arms!
I'd be a lot more apprehensive about these precious ones being far away if it weren't for my sister, Kelly and her family being there. Kelly has been over the moon waiting for these babies to arrive. I could not be entrusting them to a better Aunty.
They will be loved and supported there.
Lyssa will get her bearings and has Kelly as an experienced military wife for encouragement.
I'm so thankful they've safely arrived.

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

Good times :) Thanks for doing this post! I don't know when I'll get my pictures online and organized :P

The picture of Katie swimming with Logan and her crazy car face are a couple of my favorite pictures of her. She was a little nut in that carseat!

Thanks again, I am already looking forward to sending a more westerly series of photos. It may be a while but it'll happen :) Until then on to more adventure! Bring on the house hunting!

Kathryn said...

A good little travelogue! My favorite rest stop on the trip Evan and I did was also in Iowa!

Yay for motels with indoor swimming pools.