Monday, January 30, 2012

Relatives and Rainbows

Sunshine before the rain












Woke up and saw this rainbow from my kitchen window. I tried to find out where the other end was. Found it by "looking" (with my camera held high) out of the window on the landing on the way upstairs. It was a pretty start to a mostly rainy Sunday.



The Family Tree and its branches
My branch of our family tree has roots in the Copper Country. It's one of the reasons I like copper accents in my home. Reminds me of my homeland.
Harlan's sister-in-law, Susie, and her husband Russ stopped by to drop off a book that I ordered. It was so good to visit with them for a bit. They are doing what we hope to be doing in a few years. They are traveling to see friends and family here in the states and Canada.
Thanks for coming to see us. Safe travels!
The book I ordered. "Come Along on My Journey" by Harlan's Aunt Helen. I'm looking forward to reading it. I know more about the Matson side of Harlan's family since his mom was so great about keeping records of the VanAttas and their journey from the East on the Oregon Trail. I have heard many stories of the Hilmans as well but am excited to "hear" Nani tell them.

The Harlan Hilman branch
Though our family bowl is holding fruit today, I think it would be better represented if I filled it with nuts! I love our anniversary gift from Nate and Krystle.

Schooling at home = improvisation

Hayden doing some arm exercises with the help of the kids. Broomstick + young children = upper body work out for both Hayden and the youngsters.

Then they all wanted to get picked up by their ears. Another work out for Uncle and the kids.

Back to the books
The boys started back to school today. New semester, new challenges and a new frontier for Hayden.

My monitoring station
I moved around my computer area a bit and put the printer where supposedly the little guy won't be messing with it. Even while I was typing this blog post he got up on the table and walked over and started pushing buttons on it! What a busy boy!!!

Grateful for Coco




Courtney has a Boot Camp PE class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and is just getting back to the house when I am leaving to bring the kids to school. She often hops in the van and goes for the ride. Which means when we get to Danika's school she brings her to class and signs her in. It saves me from having to get Garrett out of his car seat and dragging him in to the school.

Thanks Courtney! I'm happy you are willing to do this for Danika and ME.



Steeple chase
On the drive between schools I noticed a seagull sitting on the top of this steeple. There are so many churches nestled in the neighborhoods around here. I don't know the names of them but decided to take a little detour on the way home to catch photos of the ones I saw.




















The one on the above right isn't exactly a steeple but it was on a church that happens to be for sale.
The closest neighborhood church that is only two blocks away. Augustana Lutheran. It has a copper clad steeple with a lovely green patina. Which brings me back to my roots once again :o) and wraps up another blog post.

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

I like your steeple pictures :) How did you get up to the landing window?

Reese said...

Veery nice post =) I love Hayden's exercise, that's a good one.