Saturday, May 04, 2013

Another Saturday ~ another stroll


Early morning outing
 The trees were casting long shadows as we headed  north from the house this a.m. We stopped to take pictures with our blooming rhodie.

Flowers and nature
I was looking back through my blogs of the last few weeks and realized that I'm probably boring people with all these pictures of flowers. Trust me, I really don't post anywhere near as many as I take.


Industrious little fellow
We walked up the hill to Extracto Coffee and while we were sitting there a pair of birds were going back and forth behind this sign. It was obvious that they are almost ready to occupy the growing nest. The male was pretty cool with us sitting there but the female got a bit ruffled with our presence.

 The Sabin Neighborhood
 The houses on the hill above the school have a nice view of downtown. I tried to zoom in to see the city beyond the trees and chimneys. I captured a bit of it from KOIN tower on the left to "Big Pink" on the right.
Did you know that Sabin not only has a community garden they also have an orchard?



When our kids were little, this was an overgrown hillside with a beaten path running between 18th and 19th streets. It now has many varieties of fruit trees planted on the hillside. It looks like it'd be a nice place to put a grape arbor or two as well. Way to be "green" Sabin!
More flora and wildlife


 I don't know the name of the pink flowers but they are quite prevalent in yards that want to attract bees. Harlan mentioned his sister Iris the first time we saw an iris blooming in a yard. I  thought about her a lot on this jaunt as there were irises of all sorts and colors along the way.

 I tried to get a picture of this cat sitting on the top step with the cascading flowers but he or she thought I was there to visit. They were a little miffed that we continued walking.
Something out of Star Wars
I suspect that many many years ago this tree had all of its limbs cut short in an effort to "prune" it. There are bulbous growths on all of the large branches with substantially smaller limbs continuing from these points. It looks like there could be a community of ewoks living there.
 Today's final photo
Two blocks from home at the base of an enormous tree, Har saw this little fellow. He (the squirrel, not Har) posed so nicely and then went upon his way. 
I'm enjoying these weekend walks tremendously. 
I have a goal of heading east up the hill to the Beaumont Village area in a few weeks. It will take me that long to build up the stamina to make it there. 
I may have to call Courtney for a ride home on that day.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

You're looking great, Tammy! Way to go. I for one enjoy those flowers since we never get to see displays like that over here!

Lyssa said...

I for two enjoy them as well! I wish I could fly home once in a while and join one of those strolls but alas... I will have to continue my admiration of my hometown from afar for now. Thanks for your faithful glimpses of life in Portland! Love you mom!