Friday, May 18, 2012

It's Friday, Friday,

 Friday ride
 Harlan's daily bike commute is 1.7 miles each way.  As bike commutes go it's pretty short. It takes almost the same amount of time to suit up (shoes, bike bag, helmet, glasses, rain gear, etc) and get home as it does for him to walk home. But it's more fun to ride.
On Fridays when he gets off by one p.m. he has been taking the long way home which has him climbing a long hill from Interstate Ave up to MLK. The long way is 3.2 miles.









Today was especially beautiful, sunny but not too hot. Har called and asked if I'd meet him down at Starbucks in the Milwaukee Shopping Center. The ride from his work to there is 7.2 miles. A lovely ride along the trail though Oaks Bottom and across a pedestrian/bike bridge over SE McLoughlin Blvd. I met him there at a sidewalk table with a iced water and a yummy frappuccino. He said this might get to be the route he wants to take home on Fridays now. I don't have a problem with that.

Picture Postcards from the East
What a wonderful surprise we got in the mail. Post cards from Rowan, Katie, and Evie! We are going to have to do some shopping for picture postcards from around here.  It will be fun writing back and forth this summer.  Something for the kids to do.

In the Las Vegas airport
I took pictures of the tile depictions of various cities across the globe. These were in the terminal as we were getting off of the train to the "D" gates at the Las Vegas airport. Each different one portrays a clock showing the various times in Tokyo, London, Minneapolis,  Washington D.C. and Sydney compared to Las Vegas. I took photos of all of them but the D.C. one is special since we have kids near there.
It's been a week already since we've been home.  I'm not quite back in the groove but I've got a menu on the fridge and the kids have gotten to school and back here every day with clothes on.
I count those minor things as accomplishments too.

Thirty-two years ago
This is what Mt St Helens looked like from the MAX train last Friday. It ended up with it's current shape after erupting thirty-two years ago today.
I always remember the day, May 18th but have to figure the year based on how old Rylan is because I was expecting him when the mountain blew.
We won't be going up to Johnson's Ridge this weekend but one of these fine days Har and I and the kids will take the road trip. I hear it is pretty amazing.

2 comments:

Reese said...

You guys are cute :) It's fun to find new things like a friday ride plus a starbucks date.

Looking forward to seeing those mountains again soon.

Lyssa said...

Oh mountains, I do miss them. Even the volcanic ones ;)

I'd like to try that bike ride someday too. It sounds lovely. Though the car drive down there is lovely too! The canopy bit is my favorite :) I am inspired by you two and how you intentionally make time to go on dates. Very cute, very important :)