Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Small town memories
I know that Memorial Day is set aside to remember those military men and women who gave  their lives in service to our country. But when I was growing up, Memorial Day almost always included a trip to the cemetery. I looked forward to going and wandering through the grave markers while Mom and Dad attended to the plots of my grandparents or great-grandparents or great-aunts or great-uncles. Memories of those loved ones came to mind and it was good to be there.

Big city reality
Portland isn't a bastion of Americana but every now and then I'm pleased to see a flag displayed.  I'm reminded of our heritage and those whose dedication to this country cost them everything.
I snapped this picture of a flag perfectly framed by the freeway supports. 
It was windy that day... a good day to be a flag. 

"Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

Today I'm stopping for a few minutes to remember those loved ones that are no longer with us. Wishing I could be visiting those cemeteries of my youth with their flags and flowers placed there especially for today.
Today is a good day to remember.

No comments: