Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My new baby (lock)!

Mother's Day presents
 Courtney headed out to drop off a present for her Mom-in-law, Joanne. She made her a lap sized rag quilt and got her a helium dachshund that resembles Trooper, their real one.

H.M.S. Mother's Day Bounty
landed in Portland
It turns out that my kids and hubby pulled off a major surprise gift this year. Spearheaded by Alyssa in Virginia, everyone contributed to purchasing me a new "baby lock" sewing machine. It is a super duper fancy electronic one. They also got me more gadgets and notions than I know what to do with! I'm going to have to get a lesson or two from one of the local sewing centers.  It would be nicer if my sister Kelly came out and taught me what to do. Especially with the embroidery attachment. 

 
 Courtney's mother-in-law has almost the same machine and she is a quilter. My sister Kelly has the same machine and she loves it. I'm sure I will too.  I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my current one that I've almost sewed into the ground. It sounds like a tractor when I sew, though it still has a lot of miles of sewing it can do.

Grampa had a supervisor
 Harlan filled a bobbin with thread and was looking at all of the features on the computer touch screen. I think he may take up sewing too ;0)
 I did some practice stitching on one left over square from Joanne's quilt. I have to work on my stops and turns.  But this machine stitches like a dream! Effortless and amazing.
Thanks little brother!
 This little machine served to make dozens of rag quilts and receiving blankets in the time I had him. He's going to be handed down to someone who needs a still serviceable sewing machine for light duty.

Finally the four
We have had glorious weather this weekend and the beginning of this week. So gorgeous that we ate outside for the first time this year. 
The next step is for us to get our gas grill going for the season.
I'm sure the price of propane will have gone up as the price of all fuels have. But I've got steaks marinating and it would be a disservice to broil them in the oven.
Looks like we might get used to picnics on the porch again.

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

Ro walked by and noticed the first pic here, "Hey! That's Aunty Courtney! ... why is her little dog mad?" ;)

I'm so excited for you to learn and master all the cool tricks, bells, and whistles abundant in your new baby lock :) you deserve it! Well... you deserve more but the lottery people said wouldn't let us rig the powerball just because you're a fantastic, wonderful, lovely, super amazing mom ;)

We love you!!