Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Father's Day weekend 2013

Geraniums remind me of the 4th of July
The sight and the scent of geraniums not only remind me of the Fourth of July but my "town grandma"'s house as well. My dad's mother grew them in window boxes. I also had a "farm grandma" but she didn't have any window boxes. She did have a lovely flower bed on the side of her sauna. My first memory of the scent of peonies is from being at her house.
A pre-Father's Day

Since we were out running around on Saturday,  I dragged these guys to Red Robin at Cascade Station. We then took a walk around the different shops around there burning off our meals (both literally and figuratively... it was hot outside that day!). A couple hours later we ended up at YoCream! Their plain frozen yogurt with berries and granola was the perfect early Father's Day treat.
Father's Day outing











I love going to restaurants that cater to the dietary needs and likes of lots of different people. I have taken to veering from the published menu at all eateries these days. I have not been disappointed very often. It's surprising how accommodating servers can be.
Courtney's father-in-law, Kieth joined us for an after church lunch at Elmer's. Everybody but me ordered breakfast items. I had a lovely yellow bowl salad without cheese, croutons or dressing with a grilled salmon fillet on top! Very nice and very yummy.
My dad back in the day
Here is a picture of my dad when he was a boy. I figure he's about 4 years old in this. If I've heard right, he got his long curly hair cut for the first time when he was three so this is after that. What a cute little guy! Those dogs are pretty handsome as well.

First free Monday
On the first day that I didn't have to run anybody anywhere I got to see my friend, Kim. Her work schedule and my life responsibilities have prevented us from a regular time of walking and talking. Monday we got to do just that. We walked and  talked and then stopped at a cute little coffee shop to talk some more. Then she had to go to work :(  I'm so happy that the sun was shining on  us and that no matter how much time passes, we can pick up like it's been days instead of months since we were together last. That is the sign of a true friendship. 

No comments: