Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mr Rodgers has nothing on this neighborhood

Peninsula Park is a gem
This was Portland's first public rose garden. It opened in 1913! The fancy schmancy one up in Washington Park didn't open until 1917. Here is what the park will look like later on on the summer. 
Here is what it looked like today


 What a great opportunity! I'd feel like Eliza Doolittle if I could work in a rose garden. They are planting new beds according to another sign. I love this place because it's easy to get to and it's not anywhere near as busy as the Washington Park one. But to me it's prettier.


 You can see the fountain as you are driving by but since it's a sunken garden, it really needs to be seen and enjoyed while walking the paved paths and the grassy ones. It is a hidden treasure for sure.

 Some of the current blossoms


Photos really don't do justice to these flowers. They are magnificent. The delicate pink tinge on the white blossoms on this rhody is lovely. The salmon azaleas are very showy and the pink ones are just budding out.

I really need to go back there since, as I was driving away, I saw several lilacs blooming on the west side of the park.
I LOVE lilacs! Their fragrance takes me back to when I was a little girl. My town grandma had a hillside full of lilac bushes that bloomed in early summer. She also had window boxes filled with geraniums and petunias in flower beds around the house. Makes me wish I inherited a little bit of a green thumb. But I can learn. Right?




1 comment:

Lyssa said...

I love that park :) great flower pics mom! Definitely one of the finer sides of Ptown ;)