Friday, June 22, 2012

Berry picking time


Sauvie Island



I think this is the earliest I've gotten out to the berry fields. I am stuck in a rut, going only to The Pumpkin Patch there on the island.  With all of the flowers for sale I felt a little like Eliza Doolittle. 
I've never noticed the signs for the restrooms before. Cute.

The strawberry field
It was a perfect morning to be out picking berries. Heavy cloud cover and cool temps were ideal.
This was Henry and Anabelle's first time at a u-pick field. Henry didn't like posing for pictures.
A few brief instructions on which berries to pick and he took off with his basket.
Oregon berry farms don't look like Michigan berry farms. There isn't any straw between the rows. Cherise and Anabelle filled a basket pretty quickly.

The boys are looking forward to some fresh strawberry smoothies. I picked up some rhubarb to mix with berries for a crisp.  We will have to go back and get some to put up into freezer jam. 

Next stop RASPBERRIES
It seemed strange driving out to the fields but it was nice to load the van with our produce and not have to haul things all the way back to the market.
The raspberries are just starting to get ripe.  There are tons of green berries.  I think Henry liked the strawberry field better than this one.  He was relegated to staying in one row at a time. We found plenty of ripe berries to make something.  Cherise took a couple of baskets with them on the road when they pulled away today.


I like this picture of Anabelle eyeing those baskets of berries.  She enjoyed sampling the strawberries and liked them a lot!

The green wheat field
I slowed down to take a picture of the wheat field on the way back to the market. I'm sure it won't look like this in another month. There is a lot of green in those stalks still.

Home with the harvest
Fresh Northwest Berries
Four and a half pounds of raspberries and seven and a half pounds of strawberries.
Not bad for a having an almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old along for the experience.
Now it's time for me to be getting them ready to eat!

Followed this truck
Love the bumper sticker!
All I have to say is "Yah, you betcha!"




1 comment:

Lyssa said...

What a lovely time! I've heard there are some u-pick places around here too but without the friendly cloud cover and cooler temps I don't know if I'll be entirely motivated this year to get out to them ;) once again I'm pretty content to live vicariously through your blog, haha :) love you!