Saturday, August 18, 2012

Biker mom or rather biking mom

1st ride in over a year
I have one nice bicycle. And an awesome helmet. Courtney got her warmed up a week ago, so it was my turn. I waited for Har at this bench. 
I was really tempted to not even try to go for a ride as it was one of the hottest days of the year so far. Close to 100 degrees! But I'm trying to not make excuses when it comes to facing a challenge. 
So we rode.
Pretty view from the East Bank.
The entrance arch
The bike path runs along side of the railroad tracks. We didn't see any trains that day other than this engine that was parked.
The city from south of the Ross Island bridge. The Portland Spirit is heading back to the seawall.
Mysterious formations

We saw a couple of these banded rocks and some old cement foundations of some sort along the trail and waterfront.
Very inviting
These folks looked like they were having a great time beating the heat on the water.
The OMSI submarine


Harlan and some of the kids have taken a tour of this submarine. We got back to OMSI from our ride and sat on a bench to cool off for a bit. We saw one tour group leave and another line up for their turn.


Much appreciated watering hole



We didn't ride very far. I was disappointed in my endurance but the heat got to me. We rode over to this coffee shop for water and iced tea. I was very thankful for the air-conditioning! 
What I really wanted was an unheated pool to jump into.

It was a hot one!
The temperature was only 100 degrees not 107 but to this gal who thinks 75 is hot...it was not debatable.
We picked the hottest day of the year to go on a bike ride.
And I survived! 

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

Good job Mom!!! I hope the next bike ride you two enjoy is in much cooler weather with a breeze! :) You've gone and proved that you can ride in spite of horrible heat so now you can ride anytime! ;) I have to say I'm downright proud of you and how you and Dad have been getting out and active. Good on ya I say :) can't wait to go walking and/or riding with you in the cool dampness of October ;)