Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Zoo Kids

Fascinated with the tide pool

We stopped and watched the tide come into this exhibit and spout up through the blow hole. Krystle tried to get Garrett to wait for it.
 Danika was cheering it on.
 The big guys
 I'm anxious to see how tall Cam will be when it reaches his adult height. Sebastian has practically caught up to Hayden. Their "stair stepness" is a thing of the past.
Here kitty kitty
It takes a while for Garrett to notice the animals in there habitats. He just sees rocks and trees and grass. He was just staring into the tiger cage until the tiger sat up and started to move and then he said, "Rahr." He was right, it was a big rahr.
Rain forest



They've changed a few things in the rainforest area from when it was first installed. The jeep and other things from that outpost are gone and the hand print wall seems to be new.  Perhaps I've just not noticed it. I like watching the ducks.  They are just before you head into the building with the 90 degree heat and 100% humidity. It is always to nice to get out of there.

The porcupines are where the meerkats used to be.  They are the funniest looking things.  They remind me of walking badminton birdies.
Petting the goats

Each of the 4 kids got to brush the goats. Those critters are so gentle, it's nice for kids to get to actually go into the pen walk around and climb with them. I know one little guy that did not want to get back into the stroller after this freedom break.



The Savanna 



I really like the new colorful signs and banners up there. In the Africa Savanna we saw gazelles, giraffe, zebras and hippos. I hardly ever get a good picture of the hippos as they are normally off around the corner or in the water. This time I caught them eating. 
Once again, Garrett couldn't differentiate them from a rock.
Being silly in the Serengeti 
These guys aren't being silly.  They're just chillin'.
These are the silly kids. The life sized bronze statues had kids climbing all over them by the time we got there.  It was hard to get photos of our kids without someone else in the shot. I managed to get Sebastian holding the lions mouth open as Genevieve checked his teeth. I also caught a natural smile of G'vieve showing her missing tooth.






Working off some energy














I don't know who is imitating whom in this place?
Our gang or the orangutan. 
Insert flower photo here
Pretty zinnias. 
Garrett and his few minutes out of the stroller



He's not quite old enough to be out of the stroller full time but he's energetic enough to walk some of the time. The trouble we had today was the crowds.  I think everyone in Portland headed for the zoo today. It's hard to keep track of 4 busy kids when they have no fear.
Stop for a teaching break



The interactive teaching stations throughout the zoo are pretty cool. This one made the noise of the animal when you swiped a wand type reader over it. It was really loud too!
A group shot such as it is
 Here is the whole gang on the way out. I really should have posed them here on the way in. They may have been a bit more cooperative. But then maybe not.  I am sooo looking forward to getting my new camera!!!
Fall is just around the corner

There is a tinge of color coming onto some of the trees and the ivy up on the hill.  We're heading into my second favorite season of the year and leaving my least favorite.










I don't know how to express how much I've appreciated the cool down in our weather!
Wouldn't this be an excellent place to do a morning walk a few times a week with Master Garrett?
I have a new bright red windbreaker that is needing to be worn.
The school year can't start soon enough for me.


3 comments:

Lyssa said...

I am SO with you on the weather!! I think I have come to realize this year that I too like summer very least. I am lighting candles in my house today because to me it smells more like fall with candles burning (thank the Lord for AC and imagination!) we will have to celebrate autumn together in 5 1/2 weeks :) I'm sure fall will come to Portland before than but that's when we'll come to fall in Portland ;)

Lyssa said...

P.S. I am zoo sick, we'll have to visit that too!

Unknown said...

Those are some handsome men I'm related to. I love all the pics and Lyssa I am zoo sick too and I live right here