Wednesday, August 22, 2012

No destination. Just a walk in the neighborhood

Unique rock formations
This is only a portion of a retaining wall but it was so pretty I snapped a picture. Har and I hoped that they laid the proper foundation so that the wall will stand the test of time.
My moto "It's better done not right, than not done right?" Doesn't apply to retaining walls or any other project that requires endurance.
Examining the pine
Harlan always talks about the Ponderosa Pines he grew up with in Goldendale. He was checking to see if this one was that variety. Whatever kind it was it had HUGE cones. 
Neighborhood yard garden











This flourishing side yard garden is just East of the school on Failing. They have some variety of pumpkins, which are huge already, and tall sunflowers.

Sunshine even with clouds


It was a cloudy and fairly cool walk this past Saturday. The colors of some flowers actually look prettier when the sun is hiding.  This is one of the photos that I was using that photo editor on. I love it texturized and brightened. I am using it as my screen picture at the moment.
Seattle-esque address
Some of the sidewalks have been replaced and the original street names have been stamped back onto the curb. For as long as we've been aware of things all of the streets in portland have been preceded by NE, SE, N, NW or SW. But I guess back in the day it was different. Our address would have been
 3135 E 15th St N
More yards and gardens



On our walks we've noticed signs for front yard gardens that are bee friendly. I know that there was a booth at the end of school celebration teaching how people can make their yards bee friendly. With Wyatt allergic to bee stings I think we'll pass on that idea.
The shop on 24th and Fremont has some really cool stuff. I wish I could have gotten the scale of this massive double rocker.  It's definitely made for Mama and Papa bear! There was a single rocker there too. I'm thinking seat cushions may be in order though.
Heritage Tree


As we wander around our little corner of NE, I'm always drawn to the large trees. We're blessed to have had people plant all these trees as they were building the houses 100+ years ago. There were two massive ones on NE 24th Ave with plaques on them. It doesn't say how old they were but they're easily the largest street trees I've ever seen (as opposed to back yard trees.  There are some pretty enormous cedars in some back yards.) Har looks like a Lilliputian next to it.
An apple a day
Viewing an apple a day probably won't do much for you but look how our corner neighbor has trained this apple tree to grow along their fence. 
Does anyone know what the bags are for?
Perhaps insect traps.
That is one healthy looking apple!

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

I love your neighborhood :) I hope this series of getting out and walking/discovering posts mean it's a tradition now! ;)

(you don't have to take pictures every time but it is rather fun to explore vicariously!)

Lola Bacon said...

Noahe given, but those Catalpas are 76 and 85 feet tall! http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=40906&a=375134